TABE 11&12 Level D
Mathematics Practice Questions
Which of the following expressions (in square units) is the most reasonable estimate for the area of the circle in the graph shown above?
Petra’s employer is thrilled with Petra’s performance at work this year and so she offered Petra a bonus of x dollars. The majority of Petra’s bonus, y, will be given to her in a one-time sum at an award ceremony this Friday, and the remainder will be awarded on a monthly basis for m months until the total amount, x, is paid out by the end of the year. Which of the following algebraic expressions best represents the amount of money Petra can expect to see added to her monthly paychecks in the coming months?
- y/m – x
- x/m – y
What is the median of the data?
1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 5.4, 7.4, 9.4, 6.7, 8.2, 4.8, 3.1, 1.5
Which graph is not a function?
If the cube root of x is -2, what is the cube root of x²?
Reading Practice Questions
In paragraph 1 of the selection, the repetition of the word “we” has the effect of:
- uniting the people and reminding them of their collective efforts in a singular cause.
- singling out the ones who did not join in the movement.
- addressing the governing body correctly in the plural tense.
- reminding the people of all the work that they still need to do.
In paragraph 3, the speaker employs what figurative language device in the first sentence?
In this passage, the speaker is primarily concerned with:
- celebrating their victory and now resting from their efforts.
- laying out the specifics of his detailed plan for the future so the people can be on board.
- encouraging the people to continue working together to create positive changes.
- drawing on the hardships of the past to reconcile himself with the current situation.
In paragraph 1, the word “resounding” is best defined as:
Which statement expresses an intention of the speaker?
- The speaker intends to take care of both the young and the old.
- The speaker intends to unite people of all religions.
- The speaker intends to fight for the right to have weapons.
- The speaker intends to step down from his position.
Which sentence from the passage best supports the answer to Part A?
- The talents and dreams of our citizens and neighborhoods will nourish our government the way it should be cherished and feed into the moving river of mankind.
- We never stopped believing that we were a part of something good and something that had never happened before.
- We intend to revitalize and rebuild this city.
- And we have kept the faith in ourselves as decent, caring people who gather together as a part of something greater than themselves.
Language Practice Test
Read the sentences.
Maria was so proud of _______. She scored the winning goal at the game.
Which word best completes the sentence?
Which sentence contains a misspelled word?
- The principal was awarded the highest honor.
- He is not a casual acquaintance.
- Sarah has acheived a high level of skill in karate.
- The maintenance department is quite punctual.
Read the passage. Then answer questions 3 and 4.
Cell Phones Endanger Drivers
(1) One of the recent developments of modern technology, cellular phones, can be a threat to safety. (2) In fact, people who talk on the phone while driving are four times more likely to have an automobile accident than those who do not use the phone while driving. (3) I like to use my cell phone when I am driving because it is convenient. (4) The researchers studied 699 drivers. (5) Who were in an automobile accident while they were using their cellular phones. (6) The researchers concluded that the main reason for the accidents was not that people used one hand for the telephone and one hand for driving. (7) Instead, the cause of accidents was usually that the drivers became distracted, angry, or upset by the phone call. (8) _________, the drivers lost concentration. (9) Many people find that monthly plans are more economical than pre-paid plans.
Which of the following sentences would be helpful for connecting sentences 1 and 2?
- A study for Donald Redmond and Robert Lim of the University of Toronto showed that cellular phones pose a risk to drivers.
- Police departments around the country have helped with local legislation to bring about new reformations in laws regarding cell phone usage.
- The cellular phone industry has grown exponentially in recent years due to the increase in demand.
- I personally enjoy talking on my cellular phone even while driving.
Which of the following would be the most appropriate transition to use in sentence 8?
- As a result
- To conclude
Which sentence is written correctly?
- Exhausted and thirsty, the skier decided to call it a day.
- Walking to the store, the rain drenched Bob.
- Running for the city bus, my sunglasses fell to the ground.
- Upon entering the dentist’s office, the magazines caught my attention.